Sunday, February 13, 2011

Spring is in the air...almost

This is just one of the many things you can do with these beauties...
Ok, I couldn't wait!  I was going to make a bunch of these with different colors, but I got so excited I wanted to share it with someone..and that's all of you.
I was in Michaels a day or two ago when my eye caught these really cool looking flowers...


They were expensive like $9.99 each.  Well, I wanted a whole bunch!  When I took a closer look I new I could create the same thing.  
Here's what I used:

I also used long wooden skewers that aren't pictured.
It all started with my backyard!  You know those Rose of Sharon bushes?  Well,  after they bloom, they leave these open bud thingy's.  I happen to have 4 bushes.  I started by gluing them to the Styrofoam balls.  It is a little time consuming.
Next, I sprayed it with Rustoleum Heirloom white.
Next, I mixed some acrylic paint with water to make a wash.

Using a paint brush I brushed on the color all over, just dabbing it all over.  
After it dried, I stuck a wooden skewer in it.  Then painted it with a white wash with white acrylic paint and water.  
Soooo, are you imagining all the possibilities with me???
I'm thinking different colors...fun at Easter with pastels, or go modern and paint some metallic or like the picture above maybe beachy topiary?

Let me know what you think!




No comments:

Post a Comment