Sunday, February 6, 2011

Liza Mae's ReCreations: Coffee Table Makeover...


"Ok, so I bought this coffee table at our community garage sale last summer. I think I paid like 30 bucks for it. It was in good shape, but the top was starting to peel where there were faint water marks.  After viewing lots of other blog sites, I was inspired to change it up.  I got help from my 14 yr old to take it to the back deck to sand it. I sanded the top very quickly because it was in the 30's here in Pa.  Then, I painted the top a creamy white.  I put on two coats...of course my 10 year old came into the room and touched it right in the middle, then was nice enough to "re paint" her mistake.  ANYWAY, after it finally dried, I used my palm sander to distress the edges and corners.  This all takes place in my kitchen!  It was too cold to be in the garage, and the creative juices were flowing!  After that, I made a glaze.  I used black acrylic paint and glaze.  You just have to mix it to whatever shade you want.  I brushed it on in sections, then wiped it off from the outside to the inside.


I finished it of with a water based polycrylic polyurethane.  I used two coats, lightly sanding in between for better bonding.    

No comments:

Post a Comment